My son is 12 and has both ADD and diabetes. Is there anyone out there with any advice on this matter? Our specialist is clueless. He was diagnosed with MODY and now his glucose levels are rising. I know that the increase in his sugar level will affect his activity some and his moods. I really need advice on how he can be treated for both.

First of all in regard to his diabetes, I should try to find out on what basis the diagnosis of Maturity Onset Diabetes of Youth (MODY) was made. Probably he was tested for autoimmune antibodies and was found to be negative. I doubt if a specific diagnosis of MODY was made because it is hard to get this done. Some MODY cases do however also require insulin after a time; I am assuming Jacob is not already on this. On the other hand if antibodies were not done he might still be a Type 1 or auto-immune diabetic in which case the rising blood sugars would indicate a need to start insulin.

ADD and MODY are not specifically related; but it is clear that the behavioural problems related to hypoglycemia can accentuate those due to ADD. It is important then to do enough blood sugars to make sure that this is not happening. For the rest, I am afraid I am no expert in ADD; but I would start with talking to the school psychologist, who presumably made the ADD diagnosis, and then try to make a judgement as to whether he is in the best available program. If you do not feel comfortable after this I would go to the Head of Pediatric Clinical Psychology in the nearest Medical Center, find out who is the expert in the field and go to them for a second opinion. There may also be a parent group in your area and they would be a valuable resource in making sure that everything is being done.

[Editor's comment: Also, see other questions and answers for some other thoughts on the subject of ADD and diabetes. WWQ]