Question:

From Long Beach, California, USA:

I am a 25 female diabetic, Type 1. I recently started taking chromium picolate and my blood sugars have become a lot more stable since. Can chromium picolate harm me or cause side effects?

Answer:

Chromium has a positive effect towards glucose metabolism, enhancing insulin action as well as seeming to have a positive effect in lipid metabolism and in the prevention of atherosclerosis. The RDA for adults ranges between 50-200 mcg and, since vegetables are our main source of daily chromium, it is highly unlikely (even in underdeveloped countries) to observe a deficiency of this micronutrient. Anyhow, I do not think it can harm you.