From Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 6 year old son was diagnosed about 2 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. At that time he was placed on Regular and NPH. My wife and I were constantly fighting with him to eat after we gave him his shot. He is a very picky eater and, needless to say, our anxiety level was sky high in fear of him going too low. At our recent visit to the endocrinologist, they replaced his Regular with Humalog. He is on the carbohydrate counting diet and I'm interested in knowing how many units of Humalog cover one carbohydrate exchange (approximately 15 grams). Also, are there any side effects we should be watching for now that he switched? It seems to be working much better since his school time lunch lows (quite a few under 60) have been substantially mitigated.

For a child this young it is difficult to say what the lispro insulin [Humalog® brand] to carbohydrate ratio should be when used in conjunction with NPH. Since NPH starts affecting the blood sugars between 30 minutes and an hour after it is taken and then increases to a peak between 6 and 8 hours after it is taken, the specific effects of Humalog may be more difficult to track. I would suggest you keep a food diary and keep monitoring blood sugars which should give you and idea of what your son's insulin to carbohydrate ratios are on NPH and Humalog.