Question:

Do you know of Type 1 diabetics who have tried the Atkins diet?

Answer:

Answer from Joyce Mosiman, diabetes dietitian:

The Atkins diet drastically limits carbohydrates and depends on the body to burn fats, thus producing ketones. I have not given the blood sugar/extra insulin question much thought through the years since I deal with children exclusively. My main concern with people with diabetes increasing protein and fat in their diets is of course the overload of protein on the kidneys and the increase in heart disease risk with higher fat. I don't think children or people on insulin should be using it at all just to level out blood sugars since the whole formula is based on the natural production of insulin as a response to carbohydrate ingestion.

JM

Additional Comments from Dr. Lebinger:

I usually don't recommend this diet as it may produce ketones in the urine due to the breakdown of fat with severe carbohydrate restriction. These ketones do not correlate to the blood sugar and can cause confusion in diabetes management. Ketones with normal (or low blood sugar) do not require extra insulin administration. Ketones with high blood sugar do require extra insulin administration.