Question:

From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

My 7 year-old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. He has lost weight since his diagnosis, but was very overweight to begin with. He always had bowel movements that sank right to the bottom of the toilet, despite my giving him lots of fruits and vegetables to increase his fiber intake. Was this a sign of diabetes?

Answer:

I do not know of any reason for his stools to sink that would relate to having diabetes. What we eat does affect the consistency of stools and I am guessing that your son may be a big meat eater. As long he is eating a varied and balanced diet I don't think you have anything to worry about. The weight loss I assume you are pleased with however, adequate calories for normal growth and development must be supplied. If the weight loss continues, his meal plan should be reevaluated to make sure he is getting enough calories to grow on.

JM