Question:

From New York, USA:

I am looking for information to help a child who has both diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. The child is in India and will be brought to the USA soon. Any help at all will be appreciated.

Answer:

Although both Rheumatoid Arthritis and Diabetes are autoimmune in origin, they are relatively rare companions in the one patient - I've seen only one case. I suppose that the main issues relate to ensuring that the practical aspects of diabetes management are made as easy as possible in the context of painful/stiff joints. We have a number of parents of patients who have RA and they have all found it easier to manipulate a pen than a syringe.

Exercise is important for control and physiotherapy reasons - maybe swimming is the least traumatic to joints. You also have to consider the effect of RA treatment on diabetes - e.g., periods of steroid treatment or the effect of gold upon kidneys, etc.