From New York, USA:

I am looking for information to help a child who has both diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. The child is in India and will be brought to the USA soon. Any help at all will be appreciated.

Although both Rheumatoid Arthritis and Diabetes are autoimmune in origin, they are relatively rare companions in the one patient - I've seen only one case. I suppose that the main issues relate to ensuring that the practical aspects of diabetes management are made as easy as possible in the context of painful/stiff joints. We have a number of parents of patients who have RA and they have all found it easier to manipulate a pen than a syringe.

Exercise is important for control and physiotherapy reasons - maybe swimming is the least traumatic to joints. You also have to consider the effect of RA treatment on diabetes - e.g., periods of steroid treatment or the effect of gold upon kidneys, etc.