Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Jan 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I'm diabetic, type 1, closely following the C-peptide/diabetic rat research and would like to know -- for those of us who can't wait 20 years or so to get C-peptide with our insulin: How can we supplement our insulin or take C-peptide separately -- now (via doctor's prescription, vitamin supplement or in natural foods)? (31 Jan 98)

2. I am twenty years old and have had Type I diabetes since the age of 6. For the last several weeks my blood sugars have been running abnormally low. I haven't altered my diet or exercise regimen and I can't figure out what's going on. Can hypoglycemia be symptomatic of some other problem? (31 Jan 98)

3. I am 29 years old and recently diagnosed with diabetes. My symptoms presented after an extremely stressful and frustrating week of work. Within two weeks, I required no insulin and had normal blood glucose readings. Is it possible that my initial high reading was caused by the unusually high stress I was under? (31 Jan 98)

4. My younger son is nearly 18 and since year and a half has Type 1 diabetes. He is applying to American universities in order to be enrolled as a student in the fall of this year. What is the situation of foreign students in the USA? Can they receive free insulin and, if not, what are the approximate retail prices of human insulin in the USA? (31 Jan 98)

5. I am middle-aged with Type 1 diabetes, and I've been taking insulin for about six months. I recently gave myself a shot in the cafeteria at work at a major hospital. The kitchen supervisor told my supervisor to tell me not to inject in the cafeteria as people were offended by it. Can I be prevented from injecting? Has anyone ever had a similar experience? (31 Jan 98)

6. I am a 16 year old female. I have had symptoms of hypoglycemia and Type 1 diabetes for over two years. My grandmother had hypoglycemia for years before it turned into diabetes. My parents refuse to believe that there could be anything wrong with me. Are there any severe long term effects that may occur if I just ignore it? (28 Jan 98)

7. My friend has an 11 year old daughter. She is Type 1, and has had diabetes for almost 2 years. She has a terrible time regulating her blood sugar and takes shots. She has a problem with ketones on and off in her urine. My friend would like to know if you know of anyone else with this problem and how are they are handling it. (28 Jan 98)

8. My girlfriend was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 years ago; she is 21 now. She has tried to maintain her blood sugars at a decent homeostasis, and has seen three different physicians or specialists; none can seem to get her to a good balance. How can she figure out how to get better blood sugars? (28 Jan 98)

9. We have an 8-year old, Type 1 diabetic son. He was diagnosed when he was four. Where can we find information about a sliding-scale vs. pattern-based insulin schedule? We have two different care providers and each believes in opposing insulin schedules! How do we determine which is better for our son? (28 Jan 98)

10. When traveling, we have found it inconvenient to keep insulin cool. Some motels didn't even have ice machines. As we consider travel abroad, we have concerns about refrigeration. Just how important is it to keep insulin refrigerated? (28 Jan 98)

11. I am a Type 1 diabetic and am a 13 year old male. I was diagnosed a year ago. I am not taking insulin at the moment because I am in the honeymoon period. Is it possible for blood sugars to drop below normal? And is it possible for the pancreas to be producing too little insulin at one time, but too much at another? (28 Jan 98)

12. We are trying to understand how insulin works in order to treat our daughter best as possible. (28 Jan 98)

13. My three and a half year old daughter recently switched to pork insulin, with good results. But we now want to mix the pork NPH with Lispro because the slower-acting pork insulin just doesn't work quickly enough to cover meals, particularly at dinner. Can you mix Pork insulin with Lispro? (28 Jan 98)

14. I was taking metformin, 250mg 3 times a day; the endocrinologist switched me over to 200mg Rezulin in the A.M. Does it take awhile for Rezulin to build up in the body? Blood sugar has been elevated since I started rezulin several days ago. (28 Jan 98)

15. My 6 year old daughter had the flu yesterday. We gave her no insulin and her sugar didn't rise till 3:00. Could we not give her Humalog to take care of her immediate need, and then give her her NPH when I know she is up to eating? I find it very hard on everyone when you have to chase the insulin with food! (28 Jan 98)

16. My son has been a diabetic for 3 years. He is 15 years old. He doesn't like his meal plan and is not eating like he should. My son does not like the rigid routine. I have discussed different options with his doctor and have not gotten much help. I asked about the pump and he said no. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (26 Jan 98)

17. This morning, I had relatively high sugars (22 mmol/L) and tested for ketones and shock of shocks, produced a reading of about 6 mmol/L of acid. Should I be concerned about Ketoacidosis given the ketone reading? I've never experienced ketones before, but I can tell you, I feel like a piece of trash. (26 Jan 98)

18. My wife has had Diabetes for the last 11 years. Her sugar levels are generally on the higher side. If we do increase her insulin intake to bring the levels to say around 80-120, she feels very shaky and insecure. She is fine when are levels are 150-180. Is this alright? (26 Jan 98)

19. My 11 year old son was diagnosed 8 months ago. He still seems to be in "honeymoon." How long could this stage last? Will it end abruptly or gradually? (26 Jan 98)

20. I have a 3 year old with diabetes. Our doctor advised us to give her and her twin sister the new shot to prevent Chicken Pox. They received the shot on Friday and were exposed to Chicken Pox on Monday. Will the shot protect them? (26 Jan 98)

21. I'm 16 years old and was told by my endocrinologist that I have hyperinsulinism. I had the symptoms (weight gain, excessive hunger, low sugars) for 6 years, went undiagnosed and ended up developing polycystic ovaries. What's going on with my body? No matter what I eat, my sugars just can't stabilize! (22 Jan 98)

22. What is the most common age at which diabetes starts? (22 Jan 98)

23. Our 10-year-old daughter requires snacks mid-morning and mid-afternoon because of what the pediatrician termed "hypoglycemic headaches." My father, his sister, and other members of his family are diabetic. My husband's maternal grandfather and paternal aunt died of diabetes. Should we be more concerned about our daughter's blood sugar? (22 Jan 98)

24. My wife is 41 and has been a type 1 diabetic since age 14. I have heard that there have been clinical trials on type 1 diabetics that include the use of C-peptide, which have produced positive results that included the reversal of some diabetic complications. We would appreciate any information you have on C-peptide. (22 Jan 98)

25. My son has been on amphetamine and anti-hypertensive drugs for 3 years for ADHD. He recently wound up in the hospital with Type 1 diabetes. He is now 9 years old. Is it possible the drugs could have caused the damage through a hypersensitivity autoimmune reaction? (22 Jan 98)

26. My 15 year old brother was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes two years ago. He now uses Novo Nordisk PenMix 30. He likes football so he plays in on a Football Team. Since he uses Mixed insulin (30/70), other than lowering his insulin shot before the match, what kind of food should he eat to be energetic and avoid low glucose levels? (22 Jan 98)

27. Is hyperthyroidism common with Type I diabetes? (22 Jan 98)

28. I want to go on the grapefruit diet starting the New Year out to lose weight and to control my diabetes. Is this a healthy diet? I've read somewhere diabetics and people with high blood pressure shouldn't go on this. It will consists of eating and drinking small amounts of grapefruit juice and 2 eggs and bacon for breakfast and the other meals somewhat differ with all the salad and meat you can eat. (22 Jan 98)

29. I am a middle school counselor working with a 12 year old female who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last year. Lately she has had problems controlling her blood sugar and is feeling very frustrated, tired and depressed. Can you direct me to resources to help me help her? (22 Jan 98)

30. My grandson who is 15 is currently on insulin but his sugar levels still fluctuate from 8 up to 25 mmol/l [144 to 450 mg/dl]. Is this normal? I thought him taking insulin would control his sugar levels but to me they have not. (22 Jan 98)

31. My nephew was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one month ago. What are the chances he has to become cured? (16 Jan 98)

32. I'm not comfortable with my ability to interpret the accuracy statistics provided in the Meters page in this site. My son is considering the Precision QID meter and the accuracy numbers don't look good. Would you consider the accuracy statistics to be a reason not to get this meter? (16 Jan 98)

33. Our eight month old son was diagnosed with nesidioblastosis and had a sub-total pancreatectomy by the time he was six days old. What percentage of nesidioblastosis patients have feeding problems? How is it handled? When does it resolve? (16 Jan 98)

34. My daughter is 21 and has type 1 diabetes. She is getting tired of taking shots with the standard needle. Is it possible to use the air type injector? (16 Jan 98)

35. My 15 year old son has Type 1 diabetes. He is being treated for thrush and I was told that this is common in diabetics. He is complaining of pain in swallowing food. He just started Nystatin. How long will this take to help with the swallowing? Could you explain what thrush is? (13 Jan 98)

36. My husband has had Type I since age 7 and we have a son who is now 5. In 1992 we learned of a 10-year research project which is exploring a possible link between early introduction to dairy products and Type 1 diabetes. We have now been dairy-free for 5 years, but are finding it hard to wait for the results of this study. (13 Jan 98)

37. My five year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year and a half ago. Her blood sugars have never really been controlled. Her doctors prescribed 2 to 3 units of Regular and 5 units of NPH regardless of her sugar levels. She ranges anywhere from 80 to over 600. What else can I do to help regulate her sugars? (13 Jan 98)

38. I have a friend whose son is only 6 years old. This six year old has very high levels of diabetes (600+), when injected with insulin (I think) this level goes down considerably. However, as a result of these injections (using needles), he (the son) has started developing marks on his arms. Is there any other way this child could intake insulin or something else to control his diabetes? (13 Jan 98)

39. I have recently gone on the pump and have been diagnosed with retinopathy requiring laser treatment. I have heard that in some patients retinopathy gets worse with tighter control. Do you have any suggestions? (13 Jan 98, updated 28 Jan 98)

40. Has the combination of using Rezulin and Glucophage together been approved yet? (13 Jan 98)

41. My girlfriend was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. How does this affect her and the baby? Will the baby be born with diabetes? Will she need insulin after the pregnancy? I am lost! (13 Jan 98)

42. I really want to get my ears pierced but my mother wants the okay from a doctor. I was wondering if you could help. (13 Jan 98)

43. I found your site through a search for info about a doctor who has published a book about his treatment for diabetes. I bought my mother his book for Christmas as she is a Type 2 diabetic, and she has become so excited reading it, she's started the plan before finishing the book! Do you know how I can find a doctor who believes in what this doctor practices? (13 Jan 98)

44. I have taken a few tests at the doctors and would like to know from a professional (my doctor does not specialize in diabetes) if I should be overly concerned. I have just received the results from a blood test: 250 sugar count and 5 insulin level. Are these correct? I also have none of the usual symptoms which has perplexed the doctor. (13 Jan 98)

45. I am very much interested in the GlucoWatch. Do you know when the GlucoWatch will be available for people in Holland, Europe? Is it possible to order the GlucoWatch? Is the GlucoWatch reliable yet? (13 Jan 98)

46. My five year old son was diagnosed four years ago. We have used Nutrasweet [aspartame] products a lot since diagnosis. I am becoming concerned about the prolonged use of it. Also, could it have an effect on his growth? (13 Jan 98)

47. I am diabetic (diagnosed 14 years ago at the age of 15), have 2 children, and wanted to ask if it is now considered safe to have a third child. (10 Jan 98)

48. Are moderately high ketones ever caused by anything else besides diabetes? (10 Jan 98)

49. I first learned about inhalable insulin from my son's endocrinologist several months ago. Then I read a small snippet in Newsweek about this possibility. I know this is not a cure but is it a realistic possibility in the near term? Do you know anything more about this? (10 Jan 98)

50. I have a really serious question for you: Can I drink?. I am 14 and I know it is not legal but everyone does and I really want to. I take 11 R and 24 NPH in the morning and 11 R and 14 NPH in the afternoon. If I drink, I plan on drinking about 5 to 7 beers. (10 Jan 98)

51. I am an adult (39 years old) with Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at the age of 11. I have been recently diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy in my feet and legs. I have such bad scarring from insulin injections and was wondering if the pump would be more helpful in controlling the diabetes. The scarring keeps the insulin from absorbing correctly. (10 Jan 98)

52. I am 20 years old and have been a diabetic since I was 10. My blood sugar is regularly in the 4-500s, I constantly wake up with cotton-mouth, go to the bathroom about 5-6 times a night, and generally feel bad all day. I try to take extra insulin, but I am afraid to death that one time I will take to much and not wake up or have anyone around who can help me. (10 Jan 98)

53. When will be Humalog available in a pre-filled insulin syringe? Will it be like Humaject? How much insulin will the syringe contain? (10 Jan 98)

54. We recently purchased a hot tub. Since we have a 10 year old with Type 1 diabetes, we are concerned with guidelines for his use. (10 Jan 98)

55. I am age 27 and 32 weeks pregnant. Several weeks ago I had a 3 hour blood sugar test after fasting for eight hours. At two hours my sugar level was at 190, after that normal. Should I be concerned? (10 Jan 98)

56. I am an adult onset (Type 2) diabetic. When I test my blood in the A.M. before eating it is usually 145 to 175 and my P.M. level is usually 112 to 140. Should I consider taking insulin or can this be corrected? (10 Jan 98)

57. My wife is 29 years old and was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. She is currently taking one 500 mg Glucophage daily. Is it safe to also take St. John's Wort? (6 Jan 98)

58. My 7 year old daughter has diabetes. She needs insulin 3 times a day and has some problems with the needle. Please help me to select a jet injector for her. (6 Jan 98)

59. Does garlic keep a person's sugar level elevated? (6 Jan 98)

60. I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel -- twice. I am a carpenter and always thought the carpal tunnel was due to the repetitive work I do with tools. I have heard through others, though, that the carpal tunnel I have been diagnosed with is largely due to diabetes. Is this true? (6 Jan 98)

61. I am baking for Holiday gifts and have a 16 year old, Type 1, nephew and two adults with diabetes. I would like to know what I should be substituting in the traditional cookie, breads, pies recipes so that they can eat them safely. (6 Jan 98)

62. I have a 22 month old. We took her to the ER after collapsing and vomiting. Her blood sugar was at 35. They did further tests and found nothing. We had a lot of concerns. What tests if any should her pediatrician do? (6 Jan 98)

63. Our seven year old son has had diabetes for 3 years. We have been trying to get testing in the classroom for him but have been told that there is a risk of blood borne pathogens. Is this true? What are the CDC's guidelines on this issue? (6 Jan 98)

64. My neighbor's little boy was born two weeks ago. His blood sugar keeps going down toward 20 so they have him on glucose. The doctors say he was born with an enlarged pancreas. What's wrong with this poor kid? (6 Jan 98)

65. My 5 1/2 year old son has had type I diabetes since age 2. About once a year, he gets a nasty flu in that he has a sore throat, cough, runny nose, and then vomiting. His ketones are always large when this occurs. What can I do to get rid of the ketones quickly? It makes me want to get trained for administering an I.V. (6 Jan 98)

66. I am 18 and have been diabetic for 2 years. I still have not been able to keep a controlled blood sugar level. My average is 16 - 20 [288 - 360]. I do not eat candy. Is there anything I could try besides no sugar? My doctor said I am ready for kidney or lung failure soon and I have become scared. (6 Jan 98)

67. My father - 70 next year - was diagnosed diabetic in his early 20's. He just suffered an occipital lobe stroke which has caused a homonymous field defect and he can no longer drive. He is desperate to find out if this really is irreversible as it is the first real "setback" as a direct result of diabetes. Please can you help? He has Type 1 and takes two injections a day. (5 Jan 98)

68. My 7 year-old's (Type 1) blood sugar was only 79 mg/dl last night before bed, so we gave him extra food and woke up at 1 A.M. to re-check his sugar. It was 128 mg/dl, so we didn't give him any more food and let him continue to sleep. At what reading must he be awakened and fed more? He is in honeymoon, so he only takes 4 NPH each night before bed. (5 Jan 98)

69. My 8 year old daughter has what appeared to be hypoglycemia. She can go as low as 40 and has gone as high as 351, l88, and l48. Diabetes runs strongly on both sides including Dad. I had gestational diabetes carrying her. Could she be working on full blown juvenile diabetes or is there such a thing as a storage problem with glucose? (5 Jan 98)

70. Recently I have been really tired, extremely thirsty, and I urinate a lot, especially at night. I have lost about 10 pounds though I have been eating a lot. Also my skin gets itchy and my legs seem to get numb sometimes. I'm a 17 year old female. Is this something I should get checked out? (2 Jan 98)

71. My niece, 6, was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I am looking for "free foods" I can offer her during a party while other will be eating various appetizers. Can you please give me some suggestions on free foods besides carrots, cucumbers, and sugar-free jello? (2 Jan 98)

72. My 10 year old sister, diabetic for almost 2 years, was recently diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. She was under good control but now with the medication for the JRA, we´ve been having a hard time to manage her diabetes. Have you treated a patient with both diseases? Is there any research about these two diseases being associated? (2 Jan 98)

73. My dearest friend's new grandson (1 month old) has an extremely low blood sugar level and high blood pressure. They are considering partial removal of the pancreas. The doctors cannot seem to get his blood sugar level up. Are there any suggestions on what might be the problem? (2 Jan 98)

74. I change my insulin whenever I feel the need without any input from my doctor (basically, I just keep him informed on what I'm doing). I run track, work, maintain an A average in school, and my last HbA1c test resulted in a 5.2. (2 Jan 98)

75. Are cashew nuts, almonds and milk good for diabetes? (2 Jan 98)

76. I saw a report on CNN that said children who are breastfed have a lower incidence of diabetes. Now I am feeling guilty as I did not breastfeed my son since I work full time. What, if any, studies have been done on the correlation between Type 1 and breastfeeding? (2 Jan 98)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts