From Toms River, New Jersey, USA:

This isn't much of a question, but more of a comment on my control of diabetes. Ever since I was diagnosed insulin dependant diabetic at age 13 (I'm now 16), I did not want to lead any different of a lifestyle than anyone I knew. That meant I would eat what I wanted, when I wanted. I did stay away from sugary drinks however (I'm not sure why), but over the last two years I have kept rather good control with my sugars and lifestyle. I can eat whatever I want without worry, mostly because I hate to worry, and also because very seriously, I have made my own insulin scale that I have come to follow. I change my insulin (both Humalog and NPH) whenever I feel the need without any input from my doctor (basically, I just keep him informed on what I'm doing). I run track, work, maintain an A average in school, and my last HbA1c test resulted in a 5.2. I guess I am telling you this just to let you know more about myself, and if you have any questions, or comments, or suggestion, I am open to them all.

I think what you are telling me is that you have made a big effort to find out about your diabetes. You have listened to your body and learned what to do in many situations. You did not mention if you tested your blood, but I assume you do. I think what you may not realize is that you have heard advice, taken what you feel applies to you and adjusted it to fit your lifestyle. I am guessing you have a fairly balanced food intake as you have enough energy to maintain a high level of activity.

You mention you keep in touch with your doctor to let him know what you are doing and I think that is very important. Young people your age change physically very rapidly and diabetes control can become quite tricky. Your physician/ diabetes health care providers remain ready to help you problem-solve should the need arise. Keep up the good work!