From Troy, Michigan, USA:

My niece, 6, was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I am looking for "free foods" I can offer her during a party while other will be eating various appetizers. Can you please give me some suggestions on free foods besides carrots, cucumbers, and sugar-free jello?

Foods that are protein or fat will not affect the blood sugar as readily as foods with carbohydrates. A small amount of popcorn (3 cups equal 1 carbohydrate exchange), peanut butter or cheese whiz on celery, cheese sticks, beef jerky, one or two small crackers with peanut butter or cheese or ham may work as well. A free food is generally defined as one that contains 20 calories or less.

You don't mention if your niece has a snack around the time of the party and if so she might be able to eat some of the party foods as her snack. You don't mention what kind of a meal plan she is on, so I am not sure if you are working with carbohydrate counting or exchanges. There is a great book called the Joy of Snacks written by Nancy Cooper, RD, that I have used and seen in our local book stores. This may give you some more good ideas.