Question:

From Concord, New Hampshire, USA:

My 8 year old daughter has what appeared to be hypoglycemia. She can go as low as 40 and has gone as high as 351, l88, and l48. She is body sensitive so feels nauseated, clammy, sleepy, etc. When low, there is a loss of attention span, weepy and she will tell you she needs to eat. On one occasion the glucometer stated simply below 40, and her hands shook terribly. Diabetes runs strongly on both sides including Dad. I had gestational diabetes carrying her and she is one of a set of twins.

She has been tested twice with the oral glucose monitoring test. She has had insulin levels done, the adrenal gland was check and pituitary gland was checked: all normal. She shows a couple of lows, but it is the severe drops anywhere from 40-70 points that concern me. Now as of three days ago, she started going up 40-60 points. No change in diet. She has been on a hypoglycemia diet for two months and is still in the process of being tested. She needs to eat every l l/2 - 2 hours or we have a real problem. Any thoughts on what I might do at home to help with the situation or what questions to ask the provided? He suggested at one point it was all in her head. And, was probably ADD!

Could she be working on full blown juvenile diabetes or is there such a thing as a storage problem with glucose?

Answer:

It sounds to me like you need to first confirm these abnormal blood sugar results from the meter. Blood sugars going from 40 to over 300 are not normal and need further investigation. One way to confirm this is to collect blood samples at home to be measured in a laboratory when your meter is reading low or high. There are small tubes available (microtainers) that contain a preservative called fluoride (they come with grey caps). The preservative prevents the blood sugar from decreasing while the blood sits in the tube waiting to be processed. You can "scoop" up enough blood from a good fingerstick to bring to the lab to confirm these abnormal results. With the preservative, you can bring the tube to the lab up to a day later. If the lab results are abnormal, your doctor may want to perform more tests in the office when the blood sugar is high or low.