Question:

From Southfield, Michigan, USA:

My neighbor's little boy was born two weeks ago at term. Normal size and weight. His blood sugar keeps going down toward 20 so they have him on glucose. He's also on antibiotics for recurring fever. The doctors say he was born with an enlarged pancreas. If the mother had gestational diabetes, the tests didn't show it. What's wrong with this poor kid, what can be done about it, and what's the prognosis?

Answer:

Your friends need to talk over their little son's temperature and low blood sugar problems with his pediatrician. I imagine the antibiotics are being given because it is felt that the temperature is indicative of an infection.

As to the low blood sugars, it sounds as though the doctors are thinking of a condition called nesidioblastosis in which the pancreas produces an inappropriately excessive amount of insulin. (see a previous question). Promptly treated these babies usually do very well.

DO'B