From Midland, Virginia, USA:

I am baking for Holiday gifts and have 1 16 year old, Type 1, nephew and 2 adults. I would like to know what I should be substituting in the traditional cookie, breads, pies recipes so that they can eat them safely. (I also plan on printing out ingredients to include with the baked gifts.)

Substitution for fat a sugar are most commonly used. Many recipes may be used as they are with cutting the amount of sugar in half in the recipe. Depending on the recipe. fruits such as applesauce or fruit purees may be used in place of part of the sugar and most of the fat. If you are replacing fat, you may use the measurement the recipe calls for as the amount of fruit puree to use. These replacements work very well in cookies and fruit type cakes. The fruit puree, although not as concentrated as sugar, will still contribute carbohydrate to the product. There are several cookbooks out from the American Diabetes and Dietetic Associations you may want to look at. I believe most of these are found in the larger bookstores.

[Editor's comment: Also, take a look at Readers' Favorite Recipes for some taste-tested recipes. WWQ]