From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel -- twice. I have had surgery on one wrist, and am awaiting surgery on the next. I am a carpenter and always thought the carpal tunnel was due to the repetitive work I do with tools. I have heard through others, though, that the carpal tunnel I have been diagnosed with is largely due to diabetes. Is this true?

The carpal tunnel syndrome is a peripheral nerve disorder (pinched nerve) affecting the hand and can be associated with long-standing diabetes mellitus, as are Dupuytren's contracture and flexor tenosynovitis. These are thought to be due either to vasculitis or to some form of autoimmune syndrome. Plasmapheresis has been described as a very successful remedy for what you describe.