From Mexico City, Mexico:

My 7 year old daughter has diabetes. She needs insulin 3 times a day and has some problems with the needle. Please help me to select a jet injector for her.

From what I gather from your question, your seven year old daughter is having a hard time with her injections. If there is pain during the injection, I would talk to your doctor about making sure you are using the finest needles available in your country. I would also review how you actually give the shots to make sure you are doing the injection in the most comfortable way possible.

Needle-less injectors, although without a needle, still need to put insulin under the skin. Most people still feel these needle-less "injections." Also if you were to use a needle-less injector, the insulin may be absorbed faster, changing the timing and peaks of the insulin, as well as possibly requiring more frequent injections.

The injectors on the market are expensive, and require cleaning and maintenance. In my experience of taking care of children with diabetes for 12 years, I have never had a child continue to use a needle-less injector.

Some people prefer to use a device which is not very expensive, and still uses a syringe and needle, but it helps put the needle into the skin by a spring device, similar to a lancet device. Diabetes Forecast from the American Diabetes Association, has a yearly review of products on the market.

Sometimes when children are having a hard time with injections, it is not the actual pain that they are upset about, but rather the difficulties of having diabetes. Talking to your child about her concerns, worries, and fears may help get to the root of this. Also talking to a professional may help.

If your daughter were diagnosed with diabetes in the past few months, it is normal to have a time of rebelling and being angry about diabetes. Often young children focus on the shot when they are upset.

[Editor's comment: The Gentle Jet jet injector is designed especially for children. During testing, I can honestly say that I felt no discomfort at all during an injection of saline. However, my daughter, who also tested the product, found it extremely painful. There are several readers who frequent the Message Board who have children who use jet injectors. You might want to review the messages there for more information. JSH]