Question:

From Mansfield, Ohio, USA:

My wife is 29 years old and was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. She is currently taking one 500 mg Glucophage [a diabetes pill for Type 2 diabetes] daily. Is it safe to also take St. John's Wort?

Answer:

St. John's Wort has not been systematically evaluated in people with diabetes. It appears to be benign, from what I've read. However, please remember that it, and most other herbs that are promoted as products to take to help stay healthy or get healthy, do have active ingredients that have not been studied or approved by the US FDA, and you (or your wife) would be taking them at your own risk.

WWQ