Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I am diabetic (diagnosed 14 years ago at the age of 15), have 2 children, and wanted to ask if it is now considered safe to have a third child. My husband and I were thinking about it, and I wanted an opinion from somebody other than our doctor because he is new, and although I trust him to make great decisions about my blood sugars, I don't really know him very well. I don't have any complications (yet), but my last pregnancy was difficult for controlling blood glucoses. My last A1C was 5.9, so I am in great control -- I am just worried that I may push the limit and not be around to raise my two existing kids (ages 18 months and 9 years).

Answer:

If your blood glucose is under good control (from the hemoglobin A1c you posted, it sounds as if it is), any you have no other diabetic complications such as kidney disease, eye disease or hypertension, then now is as good a time as any to try for another pregnancy. Discuss your plans with your endocrinologist and obstetrician.