Question:

From New York, New York, USA:

I have taken a few tests at the doctors and would like to know from a professional (my doctor does not specialize in diabetes) if I should be overly concerned. I have just received the results from a blood test: 250 sugar count and 5 insulin level. Are these correct? I also have none of the usual symptoms which has perplexed the doctor.

Answer:

250 is too high to be considered normal. If it's real, I'm concerned. If your doctor's not concerned, get a second opinion.

Diabetes can show up without symptoms; by the time the symptoms occur, we think that the disease has probably been around for 5-10 years. If you have diabetes that was caught early (before symptoms), it's the ideal time to get started on treatment (meal planning, exercise, stress control, and perhaps even using some of the new diabetes pills that can prevent hyperglycemia without causing hypoglycemia.

See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes and ADA and WHO Announce New Classification and Diagnostic Criteria for Diabetes for more information about the diagnosis of diabetes.

WWQ