From Nashville, Tennessee, USA:

I found your site through a search for info about a doctor who has published a book about his treatment for diabetes. I bought my mother his book for Christmas as she is a Type 2 diabetic, and she has become so excited reading it, she's started the plan before finishing the book! At any rate, do you know how I can find a doctor here in Nashville, Tennessee, USA, who believes in what this doctor practices? My mother is seeking a local doctor with whom she can develop a relationship using this doctor's suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

It's all too common that doctors (or ghostwriters using a doctor as a co-author) come up with some catchy concepts and write a book about their brainstorms. Unfortunately, it is unclear which of these authors have had full training in their so-called specialty, and have solid scientific information to promote, and which are promoting personal beliefs that seem to work for them, but might not work for other people.

Most physicians in clinical practice have become leery of the "quick-fix" approach in many of these books, and are unwilling to change their own routine recommendations just because some doctor somewhere else has written a book about a new or different theory. Physicians are trained to use the scientific method to evaluate claims of efficacy, and not to trust anecdotal evidence like that found in these books.

In any case, tell your mom that she can ask her own doctor if he/she is willing to look at the concepts in the book she's reading, and if he/she knows any specialists nearby who use the same concepts. But don't be surprised if no one in your community is willing to use your mom as a guinea pig to try an unproven therapy just because some doctor somewhere else (or their ghostwriter) promotes the idea.