From Maine, USA:

I really want to get my ears pierced but my mother wants the okay from a doctor. I was wondering if you could help. Thank you.

Speak to your health care team, but in general, if your diabetes is in good control there would be no different recommendations for you than for a person without diabetes.

[Editor's comment: My daughter Marissa, age 10 and diabetic since she was 2 years old, has had pierced ears for six years (she wanted them pierced at age four!). She has had no problems at all with her pierced ears. JSH.]