From California, USA:

My girlfriend was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. How does this affect her and the baby? Will the baby be born with diabetes? Will she need insulin after the pregnancy? I am lost!

Gestational diabetes is a condition of insulin resistance that occurs only during pregnancy and resolves after delivery. The pregnant woman makes insulin but a variety of hormones produced during pregnancy block the action insulin to where she develops elevated blood sugars. With proper diet and/or insulin this can be managed.

The effects on the baby are primarily increased birth weight. The baby is not at any greater risk of birth defects, although proper screening is still indicted. The baby will not be born with diabetes.

It is very unlikely that your girlfriend will need insulin after delivery, however she is at increased risk of developing diabetes later in life.