Question:

From Charlotte, North Carolina, USA:

I have a friend whose son is only 6 years old. This six year old has very high levels of diabetes (600+), when injected with insulin (I think) this level goes down considerably. However, as a result of these injections (using needles), he (the son) has started developing marks on his arms. Is there any other way this child could intake insulin or something else to control his diabetes?

Answer:

It is hard to know what kind of "marks" these are without looking at them. I would suggest that they review their injection technique with a diabetes nurse educator or endocrinologist to make sure they are doing everything okay. It is important not to use the same place over and over as after some months lumps may appear (lipohypertrophy). Occasional bruises or black and blue marks are normal.

LM

[Editor's comment: Black and blue marks due to a bit of blood leaking into the tissues of the skin is more common if the patient is taking aspirin, whether it's taken daily or sporadically. These black and blue marks are harmless. WWQ]