Question:

From Washington, USA:

My daughter is 21 and has type 1 diabetes. She is getting tired of taking shots with the standard needle. Is it possible to use the air type injector? Is insulin available for air injectors? Is it practical? Where do I find information on this?

Answer:

Yes it is possible to obtain air injection devices to deliver insulin. Look in the magazine put out by the American Diabetes Association called Diabetes Forecast. You should find advertisements in there about these devices. Be prepared to spend some money! Some of these devices are costly.

JW

Additional Comment by Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse educator:

Before making this substantial purchase, your daughter should learn as much as she can about these devices. Although the needle-less injectors are effective, your daughter will still require multiple daily insulin injections. There will be cleaning and maintenance required. As the needle-less injectors change how the insulin is absorbed into the blood stream, your daughter may have to make some changes in her insulin plan, including possibly more frequent injections.

LM

[Editor's comment: See Jet Injectors for more information. JSH]

Additional comment added 8 Feb 98