Question:

From Millburn, New Jersey, USA:

I'm not comfortable with my ability to interpret the accuracy statistics provided in the Meters page in this site. My son (age 24, on his own, doing very well, but still asks Mom for advice sometimes) is considering the Precision QID meter and the accuracy numbers don't look all that good although the overall rating on the rating page is 52/60 (accuracy doesn't seem to be included as a factor for generating the overall rating!?) Would you consider the accuracy statistics to be a reason not to get this meter?

Answer:

There are many good meters on the market. At this time, I would say that personal preference concerning features would make the decision of which meter to buy. Remember that no meter will give you the accuracy of a laboratory blood glucose. Home meters do, however, give enough information to make appropriate changes in your diabetes care.

Perhaps your son could talk to a diabetes educator about which meter might suit him best.

LM

[Editor's comment: Accuracy is not a factor in the product reviews because the accuracy of all home blood glucose meters made by the major manufacturers is sufficient to help manage diabetes. The Precision QID is no exception. When comparing meters, be aware that some meters are calibrated to serum glucose levels, which correspond to the measurements reported by laboratories, while other meters are calibrated to whole blood levels. Meters calibrated to serum levels report slightly higher blood sugar levels than those calibrated to whole blood. JSH]