From Gander, Newfoundland, Canada:

My grandson who is 15 has been diagnosed as a diabetic. He is currently on insulin with two needles a day but his sugar levels still fluctuate from 8 up to 25 mmol/l [144 to 450 mg/dl]. Is this normal? What does one do with a diabetic who has sugars so high and sometimes low? You would think the insulin would control these levels to between 6-9, say. He seems to have a lot of infections as well. I thought him taking insulin would control his sugar levels but to me they have not.

I would make sure your grandchild is receiving care from a doctor experienced in the care of children with diabetes, and preferably one who works with a team including a nurse and dietitian. There are various approaches to diabetes care, and it would be important to find an approach which fits in best with your grandchild, and then monitor to see the results. Seek out good care and learn as much as you can about diabetes.