From WebTV:

I want to go on the grapefruit diet starting the New Year out to lose weight and to control my diabetes. Is this a healthy diet? I've read somewhere diabetics and people with high blood pressure shouldn't go on this. It will consists of eating and drinking small amounts of grapefruit juice and 2 eggs and bacon for breakfast and the other meals somewhat differ with all the salad and meat you can eat.

There is some evidence that grapefruit magnifies the absorption of various medications that people are on, so eating a great deal of grapefruit may be a problem for anyone on medications. Not knowing what other foods are on the "grapefruit diet" is a problem. If other fruits and vegetables are also included and the other food groups are represented in an adequate fashion, there would not be a problem. I have a feeling, however, the focus on grapefruit is to the exclusion of other fruits and is touted as a "fat burner." As with all other diets such as these, they can be dangerous if adequate amounts of fluids and other foods providing protein and carbohydrate are not included. I think you might be better off to start the New Year off with the decision to eat less fat and to follow the guidelines set forth by the Food Guide Pyramid. The quick fix diets often turn out to be a disaster in the long run. Go for heathy eating: you will come out better in the long run.