From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

I know doctors should always check the thyroid gland of diabetics on initial examination. However, when I look for more information about hyperthyroidism and diabetes, I can't find any. Is hyperthyroidism common with Type I diabetes?

Both hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) and hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) due to autoimmune thyroid problems are slightly more common than would be expected by chance in people with Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes. There are a whole bunch of disorders that are autoimmune in nature that might happen to someone with autoimmune diabetes.

(We have answered other questions about thyroid disease before; you can find more information about thyroid disorders on the Internet.)