Question:

From Fairfax, Virginia, USA:

I'm 16 years old and was told by my endocrinologist that I have hyperinsulinism. I had the symptoms (weight gain, excessive hunger, low sugars) for 6 years, went undiagnosed and ended up developing polycystic ovaries. I tried the high protein/low carb diet but my blood sugars got really low 3-4 times a day, even when I was eating 6 small meals a day. I went off it and found that some days I get high sugar symptoms (urinating frequently, extreme thirst, fatigue) and my sugars aren't that high (140-150 2 hours after eating, normal fasting) but then 3 days later I'll have low sugar days, where my sugar doesn't go above 100 but I'll get low very easily, then 2 days later, I'll be back up! I also get frequent yeast infections. What's going on with my body? No matter what I eat, my sugars just can't stabilize!

Answer:

You say that your blood sugars are going "really low," but don't say whether the symptoms of low blood sugar you describe are confirmed in a laboratory with a properly processed blood specimen drawn when your are symptomatic. I'm also confused how and when the blood sugars are obtained when you have the symptoms of high blood sugars.

It is not clear whether you are in the early stages of developing Type 2 diabetes. It sounds like you need to talk to your doctor to find out if your blood sugars are completely normal and should meet with a dietitian to work out a meal plan to help you gradually lose weight.