Question:

From Warren, Ohio, USA:

My 11 year old son was diagnosed 8 months ago. He still seems to be in "honeymoon" (he is currently on only 20 units of NPH and a sliding scale of Humalog per day). How long could this stage last? Will it end abruptly or gradually? We are going to put him on the pump within 6 months. Do you recommend waiting until "honeymoon" is over?

Answer:

The honeymoon period lasts for a very variable time - from 0 - to over a year. The Scandinavians believe that the children who present in ketoacidosis have a shorter honeymoon. Your son is 11 years old and is likely to be entering puberty which demands more insulin while he's growing fast. This often masks the end of the honeymoon period which is almost always gradual.

I was interested in your comment that you intend to put your son on a pump in 6 months. Is this his choice and has he (and you) been presented with all the pros and cons? There may be good reasons for trying a pump but I don't think you should rush into it.