Question:

From Springhill, Louisiana, USA:

My son has been a diabetic for 3 years. He is 15 years old. He doesn't like his meal plan and is not eating like he should. My son does not like the rigid routine of eating at 7 A.M. each day.

I have discussed different options with his doctor and have not gotten much help. I asked about the pump and he said no. I asked about a different insulin and he said stay on what you are on. The choice of pediatric endocrinologist is limited to one.

My son has had A1C of 7.2 -8.0; however his last one was 9.9. He is a teenager who likes to go riding, sleep late, and all other things a teen likes to do. What can be done to help him with his schedule and his insulin? Right now he takes 22N and 3R in the morning and 10N and 3R in the evening. He test his levels 4 times a day and usually they run 150 - 200. Some run 100. I really think he could go to a regular (adult) endocrinologist since he is 15. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answer:

What you're telling us is pretty typical of a lot of teenagers. You are absolutely right: you need to take your son to see a diabetes team that can match a treatment plan to your son's lifestyle. Multiple injections or an insulin pump are appropriate options for a young man his age. If something doesn't change soon, his control is only going to worsen as he rebels more. He is perfectly normal and needs his life back!

SS