Question:

From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

I am a 16 year old female. I have had symptoms of hypoglycemia and Type 1 diabetes for over two years. My grandmother had hypoglycemia for years before it turned into diabetes.

My parents refuse to believe that there could be anything wrong with me. Are there any severe long term effects that may occur if I just ignore it all, or should I talk to my parents and ask them to bring me to a doctor?

Also, from hearing what I just told you, do you think there is even any chance of me having either hypoglycemia or diabetes?

Answer:

Talk to your parents and ask them to bring you to a doctor for a definitive diagnosis! From your question, it is hard to tell you whether you have Type 1 autoimmune diabetes mellitus. Type 1 diabetes is a lifelong illness and once diagnosed you generally will never recover even though it can apparently stop and go during the first period of time after the initial diagnosis (the so-called honeymoon). Insulin therapy, at reduced dosage, must be continued over this period of time in order to preserve some residual endogenous secretion of insulin with a consequent future positive effect towards metabolic control.

Hypoglycemia can be present during the prediabetes period and it can be due to the inappropriate release of endogenous insulin from pancreatic beta cells suffering from autoimmune attack.