Question:

From Mundelein, Illinois, USA:

I am 29 years old and recently diagnosed with diabetes (I was admitted to the hospital with a blood glucose level of 561). My symptoms presented after an extremely stressful and frustrating week of work. Within two weeks, I required no insulin and had normal blood glucose readings. Apparently I'm 'honeymooning', but is it possible that my initial high reading was caused by the unusually high stress I was under?

Answer:

Normally the pancreas can make extra insulin to keep the blood sugar normal even when insulin requirements are increased during stress. Your stress at work certainly didn't cause the diabetes, but there is a slight possibility that the blood sugars went slightly higher than they might have had it been an easier week. Most likely they would have been significantly elevated even if you had been relaxing on vacation.