Question:

I'm diabetic, type 1, closely following the C-peptide/diabetic rat research and would like to know -- for those of us who can't wait 20 years or so to get C-peptide with our insulin: How can we supplement our insulin or take C-peptide separately -- now (via doctor's prescription, vitamin supplement or in natural foods)?

It looks so promising I don't want to wait, as I have some neuropathy and artery blockages (cleared every few years) but am in excellent control with my diabetes and eat a low fat diet, exercise and am slightly underweight -- so my arteries should be in better shape.

Thanks so much for your information on C-peptide research in previous answers. It's so hard to find anything but the original research papers which only discuss the success in repairing artery and nerve damage in rats (lucky buggers!).

Answer:

I am sorry to be a damp squibb; but as yet there is no way you can get C-peptide that is either natural or synthetic except indirectly via transplantation. If it is any consolation, the limited studies that have been carried out in man were not at all as dramatic as the apparent effect in rats. If the evidence turns out to be better than now thought, I think you will find that C-peptide gets to be available long before twenty years and in the mean time it does seem that you're doing rather well.

DO'B