Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Feb 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Lately, after my lunch time workout, I have a strong desire for sweets, especially chocolate. Is this a major warning sign, something to check, or something just to mention at my next physical? (28 Feb 1998)

2. My daughter recently had an elevated TSH level, and with further testing had elevated anti-thyroid hormones. How will this affect her blood sugar readings? Does hypothyroidism increase the need for insulin? (28 Feb 1998)

3. My son is 14 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago. Control has been very erratic and frequent swings in blood glucose is seen. Is it possible he is Type 2 and producing some level of insulin? (28 Feb 1998)

4. My son was hospitalized last month for pneumonia and ketoacidosis. His blood sugar was 250 and ketones were in his blood and urine. How do we determine whether or not he is diabetic? (28 Feb 1998)

5. Is there any information relating diabetes with children of alcoholics? (28 Feb 1998)

6. I'm planning on traveling to the US. What kind of documents should I have with me so that I can import my medication and needles? I don't want to be mistaken for a drug-addict. (28 Feb 1998)

7. I have an 8 1/2 year old son who was diagnosed at 3 1/2. The main problem is that he eats whatever he wants whenever he wants. He lies, trades food, sneaks food, etc. Could the pump be the answer? (28 Feb 1998)

8. I have been in great pain in my arms, hands, fingers, legs, and feet. My doctor said it could be diabetic neuropathy. I was wondering if diabetic neuropathy could be responsible for a great deal of ongoing pain in my body. (28 Feb 1998)

9. I have read about the use of nicotinamide to prolong the honeymoon period. Since the pure form of this vitamin is not available here in the USA what is available that closely resembles it? (28 Feb 1998)

10. There was a television program that had information about something that was coming out for diabetics that they could take and not have to take shots again. I wasn't able to see the program. Do you you have any information on this? (28 Feb 1998)

11. What happens when your blood sugar level drops too low? How low is too low? (26 Feb 1998)

12. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes Type 1 just two days ago. She is eleven years old. I'm very confused with the diet she must follow. (26 Feb 1998)

13. Our 4 year old diabetic son has had some recent nighttime hypos of around 40. We are working with his diabetes team to resolve this. I was wondering about the use of uncooked cornstarch in the bedtime snack and how much should be used. (26 Feb 1998)

14. Could you please help me? I have a 3 year old little boy who has diabetes. His counts are all over the place and no one will listen to me. (26 Feb 1998)

15. I am 32 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when I was l7. The past few years I have been having a problem with low blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension. Is this common? (26 Feb 1998)

16. My son is 13 years old. Our biggest problem occurs during hockey season. We have found that his blood sugars drastically affect his playing skill, especially too high blood sugars. Any hints you can give would be appreciated. (26 Feb 1998)

17. Can Type 1 diabetes come and go in the early stages of the disease? Are there any side effects of synthetic human insulin that is not common with beef and pork? (26 Feb 1998)

18. I have had a low grade lingering cold for several days and recently started taking an antibiotic. Will the combination of an antibiotic and cold further raise my blood sugar levels? (24 Feb 1998)

19. I have had diabetes for 15 years now; I am 21 years old. For years now I have been dealing with insulin-induced lipoatrophy. I have it on both my legs, and buttocks. How can a reverse this? (24 Feb 1998)

20. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes nine years ago at age 12. Six years ago, she was diagnosed with gastroparesis. She died about a year ago. I am interested in information and about gastroparesis and the emotional difficulties of adolescents with Type 1 diabetes. (24 Feb 1998)

21. I'm going to Fun Zone with my Hebrew school. I'm afraid to give myself insulin shots. What should I do? (24 Feb 1998)

22. Have there been any cases of children being diagnosed with diabetes and then not requiring insulin again (i.e., having an indefinite honeymoon period)? (24 Feb 1998)

23. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 1 year ago. He is 9 years old and is still in the honeymoon phase. His blood sugars are very stable. My concern is that he is doing so well and all I keep hearing is that it will all end. (23 Feb 1998)

24. My 5 year old daughter gets 10 units N before breakfast and 3 units N before dinner. Her last Alc was 8.2. I feel our endocrinologist is reluctant to start her on R or Humalog. Is this usual with a five year old to be on just N? (23 Feb 1998)

25. I have a 17 year old daughter who was diagnosed 16 years ago. She is very brittle. She gets sick ever month during her periods with high ketones. She can go from 50 to 400 and back to 50 all in the day. She has no control but tries very hard. (23 Feb 1998)

26. Can you recommend a good doctor? I need help. I am losing control of my blood sugar. (23 Feb 1998)

27. I've read that one shouldn't keep insulin at room temperature for more than 28 days. Could you please tell me why? I've also read than I shouldn't keep an insulin pen in the fridge between shots. Why? (23 Feb 1998)

28. We have a 5 1/2 year old with Type 1 since age 2. She has kindergarten this year, and we are trying to figure out what could be the best regimen for her insulin. (23 Feb 1998)

29. Our five year old son has experienced pre-evening snack blood/glucose readings in the 300s and 400s. We wish to know what the correct procedure is regarding the evening snack. (23 Feb 1998)

30. I am seeking resources for affordable test strips for my blood glucose meter. I do not have medical insurance and I feel that the industry is taking advantage of those who depend on those strips. (23 Feb 1998)

31. Where is the best place to get comprehensive treatment for complications due to diabetes? (23 Feb 1998)

32. My 8 year old son takes 2 shots a day. He doesn't like the 'nasty' needle as he calls it. Do you know if they are going to come out with a new and improved needleless injector for kids within the near future? (23 Feb 1998)

33. My wife's blood sugar spikes from like 57 to 345 in a short period of time and I am concerned about it. Do you have any thoughts on why this happens or what we can do about it? (22 Feb 1998)

34. My son is 2.5 years. Last year he underwent surgery for a bladder condition. Recently he has been very irritable, waking up at night crying, has been urinating frequently in very large volumes. Does this sound like diabetes? (22 Feb 1998)

35. In case of an emergency situation, would glucagon would work on a non-diabetic experiencing hypoglycemia? (22 Feb 1998)

36. Is Weight Watchers a good diet for a diabetic? I need to lose about 50 pounds. (22 Feb 1998)

37. Everyone seems so knowledgeable, I feel so stupid. Is it just me that feels this is all so hard? I haven't been able to get a handle on my diabetes. Where do I begin? (22 Feb 1998)

38. What is amylin? (22 Feb 1998)

39. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes two years ago. I've read that before becoming pregnant, women with diabetes should be on insulin. At a recent visit with my doctor, however, he stated that since my diabetes was under good control, he planned on simply taking me off metformin. (22 Feb 1998)

40. My older sister has had diabetes since age four and is currently 30 and on the pump. She has just become pregnant. The doctor is planning on a cesarean because of the diabetes, but is this healthy? (22 Feb 1998)

41. I have a 10 year old female with Type 1 diabetes for 4 years, 2 months. She takes a lot of insulin: 8R and 25NPH in the A.M., and 6R and 18NPH in the P.M. Is there a possibility she has resistance to NPH? (22 Feb 1998)

42. How do teens deal with diabetes? (22 Feb 1998)

43. My son is 4 and very recently diagnosed as hypoglycemic. He also has a number of other disorders. We are having real trouble telling hypoglycemic episodes from the multitude of other symptoms he has. Any ideas? (21 Feb 1998)

44. I've been diabetic over 20 years, and no doctor or nutritionist ever mentioned the herbal sweetener Stevia. Do you know of any ill effects I should know of? Should I be concerned about Nutrasweet? (21 Feb 1998)

45. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed about 2 months ago. She is very tired in the morning. She goes to bed at approximately 9 P.M. and wakes up at 6 A.M. daily but she doesn't want to wake up. Is this a common side effect of insulin or diabetes? (21 Feb 1998)

46. I've been on lispro (Humalog) for about 6 months. What is the current recommendation for basal insulin (NPH twice daily, NPH daily, or Ultralente daily)? (21 Feb 1998)

47. My wife is 30 years old and we just learned that we have lost our first baby. She had been prescribed to use Humalog seven days ago. The first vial of Humalog was given to use without the warnings. We have since read the warnings and see that "Humalog has not been tested in pregnant or nursing women." (21 Feb 1998)

48. Do high blood sugar levels affect the pH [acid level] of the blood? Do diabetics have any specific problems with enzymes, especially digestive enzymes? Do a percentage of diabetics also have problems with pancreatic enzymes? (21 Feb 1998)

49. My 11 year old son was recently diagnosed. The doctor is unsure of whether it's Type 1 or Type 2. He seems to be responding to Glucophage and Micronase. Does his positive response to these oral medications indicate a Type 2 diagnosis? (21 Feb 1998)

50. My fourteen year old daughter will be traveling to Pietersburg, South Africa. Is Lilly insulin available in South Africa if needed, and what is the recommended way to carry around all the insulin I will need on the plane and on safari? (21 Feb 1998)

51. I have a 7 year old child, insulin dependent. I want to know information about the best food that doesn't raise the blood sugar, for children. (21 Feb 1998)

52. Is it okay to use candies (i.e., Lifesavers) for fast-acting sucrose rather than Gluco-Tabs? (21 Feb 1998)

53. One of my 3 1/2 year old identical twin daughters has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 months ago. The ADA position on tight control states "Tight control is contraindicated in infants under 2." Is the ADA stance no longer relevant, or are there different approaches to dealing with infants with Type 1 diabetes? (20 Feb 1998)

54. My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. Her blood glucose pattern is erratic. It seems that her morning dose of NPH is hitting her all at once. Would there be any benefits to switching to Ultralente? (20 Feb 1998)

55. My bestfriend's son was diagnosed with diabetes just recently. I was wondering if you could recommend any literature that would be beneficial to her. (20 Feb 1998)

56. Does diabetes retard the start of puberty? (20 Feb 1998)

57. I am a middle school counselor working with a 12 year old female who has had problems controlling her blood sugar and is feeling very frustrated, tired and depressed. Can you direct me to resources to help me help her? (20 Feb 1998)

58. My 27 month old granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 13 months. I have been frightened lately about diabetes life expectancy. (20 Feb 1998)

59. Our 4 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for 1 1/2 years. He occasionally has some minor infections at the end of his penis. He is uncircumcised. What is your opinion of having him circumcised to alleviate this problem? (20 Feb 1998)

60. My son is 15; he has been diagnosed since 11. He had a 24 hour urine for protein done. He had 2000 cc total volume and it came back at 220 mg with normal being less than 150. Is this normal? He is in fair control. (20 Feb 1998)

61. I was wondering how Type I diabetics handle their diabetes when the thyroid is out of control. (20 Feb 1998)

62. I have a 5 year old son who is always thirsty and has to use the restroom to the extreme that his kindergarten teacher has called me with concern. Is he at risk of having diabetes? Are there any other symptoms I should look for? (20 Feb 1998)

63. My two diabetic sons, ages 5 and 7, have been totally out of control: highs one reading lows the next. My educator says to treat highs only when there has been an established pattern of 3 days or more. Does this sound correct to you? (20 Feb 1998)

64. I was diagnosed as a Type 2 five years ago. After a year or so I was re-diagnosed as a Type 1. Was the first diagnosis wrong? Apparently I was creating some insulin at the time but my insulin production decreased to nil over a period of a year or so. What is the current precise definition of Type 1 versus Type 2? (20 Feb 1998)

65. I have an 11 year old son who was diagnosed with Type 1 this past summer. Can you comment on the doctor's remarks of how vitamins can help the insulin work better? (19 Feb 1998)

66. At age 30, during my 5th pregnancy, I developed Gestational Diabetes. After a healthy delivery, I remained diabetic. Can you give me direction to figure out if I'm Type 1 or 2 type? (19 Feb 1998)

67. What is the difference between having a slightly elevated blood glucose in the morning for a couple of hours before waking (130-160) (as a result of dawn phenomenon or rebounding from a hypo) and having an elevated blood glucose for the two hours post prandial? (19 Feb 1998)

68. I've had all the symptoms for hypoglycemia. I went to my physician, who told me that the only way she can diagnose it is if I have my finger pricked or blood taken when I have these attacks. Could you please tell me if this is true and why it can only be diagnosed during an attack? (17 Feb 98)

69. My niece was diagnosed 4 months ago. Her parents have been limiting what she can eat and how much and when. Isn't it bad for a diabetic to go hungry? Is there any publication on this to give them so I can show them she needs regular meals and snacks and not just night time snacks? (17 Feb 98)

70. My nine year old son was in the hospital a little over a year ago diagnosed with ketoacidosis. Our two pediatricians seemed to disagree about his diagnosis. One of our pediatricians has decided to send him to an endocrinologist. Any feedback on this information? (17 Feb 98)

71. Our 9 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 1/2 years ago. His diabetes is in good control, however he sometimes complains of stomach pain. What could be causing this? (17 Feb 98)

72. My boyfriend who is 22 years old was diagnosed with childhood diabetes when he was 11. He exercises daily but I think his diet is terrible. He regulates his sugar level with pop everyday. He also has a terrible sweet tooth and loves red meat. How can I help him? (17 Feb 98)

73. What are the symptoms of diabetes in very young children (age 1 year)? (15 Feb 98)

74. My 57 year old mother was just diagnosed. Her blood sugar is very high every time she checks it. The doctors never put her in the hospital, even when her blood sugar was almost 500. How high does her blood sugar have to get before they will put her in the hospital? (15 Feb 98)

75. Our 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 7 months ago. Since then she seems to be using the disease as an excuse for not doing well in school, helping around the house, all sorts of things. Has anyone had a similar situation, and how was it resolved? (15 Feb 98)

76. I am a 16 year old diabetic. I am about 15-20 pounds over weight on a very strict diet and do lots of physical exercise. Why am I not losing any weight? (15 Feb 98)

77. My daughter is 4 years old and diagnosed 7 months ago with Type 1. I have read that chromium and vanadium are important supplements that a diabetic person needs. Is this true? (15 Feb 98)

78. Can Type 1 diabetics, including children, use Cold-Eeze, the other-the-counter cold prevention product? The company that makes it says that it has 18 calories, but does not list the carbohydrate grams. Do you know how many are in it? The product contains sucrose. (15 Feb 98)

79. Is hypoglycemia in adolesence and early adulthood a precursor to diabetes in later life? Also, what is the most common age range for the onset of diabetes? (15 Feb 98)

80. My 6 year old son who is solidly in his honeymoon stage. Is there any research for those in the honeymoon stage in regard to their islets? Can't those healthy ones be cloned for future transplantation so the body won't reject them? (15 Feb 98)

81. I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 25 years. In the past six months, I have had perhaps a half dozen bad reactions. My doctor feels the only way we are going to get a handle on this is by the use of an insulin pump. Do you know of any resources or medical studies which would help me to obtain a pump? (15 Feb 98)

82. My 3 1/2 year old daughter has hypoglycemia. Her doctor has prescribed, among other things, corn starch at bed time to keep sugar levels up through the night so she doesn't seize again. How does corn starch keep sugar levels up? (11 Feb 98)

83. My 9 year old son has had Type 1 since the age of 3. We recently moved to a small town and his pediatrician wants to cut back his caloric intake because he thinks he is receiving too much insulin for his age. Are there any set rules for the amount of insulin and calorie intake with reference to age? (11 Feb 98)

84. I work as a teacher's aide in a class with a 10 year old Type 1 diabetic. I have noticed he complains of stomach aches frequently, usually before lunch or after PE [physical education], which is after lunch. Can stomach aches be part of hypoglycemia? (11 Feb 98)

85. A cyberfriend's 13 year old is experiencing underarm odor and her teachers are not very understanding. The young lady's doctor said that her diabetes has caused it but that she'll outgrow the odor problem. Is this one of the side-problems of the diabetes? (11 Feb 98)

86. I am a professional Chef and will be cooking for a client with diabetes soon. I am in need of some guidelines to assist me in cooking for this client. (11 Feb 98)

87. My 12 year old daughter was just diagnosed with high blood sugar. The doctor told me to cut back on her sugar intake and that she wanted to have her retested in 6 months. I never felt like she consumed a lot of sweets. Do you have a suggestion on a source where I can find a diet for her? (11 Feb 98)

88. What is the proper sequence in drawing up Ultralente, Regular, and Humalog? (11 Feb 98)

89. My girl friend's parents have diabetes type 2, both her mother and her father. She is 19 years old, and I am 24 years old. Is it possible that my girlfriend will get diabetes like her parents? How much is the probability? (11 Feb 98)

90. My daughter is 8, Type 1. Our concern is that she might go to sleep, have an insulin reaction, go into a coma, and either we find her dead or in a coma. What are the chances of this worst-case scenario happening? Has it ever happened before to your knowledge? (11 Feb 98)

91. My grandson has Type 1 diabetes. I was wondering, is it harmful when sugars fluctuate as they are for him? When the sugar level goes up to 25 [450 mg/dl], that to me is high or is it high? What if any damage is or can be done when the sugar levels go up high like this? Can he go into a coma when the sugar levels are up so high? (11 Feb 98)

92. My daughter has Type 1 diabetes. I was advised not to use chocolate, such as a candy bar, to treat my daughter for low blood sugar because the fat in a candy bar would slow down the absorption of the sugar. Two teens with diabetes have told me their diabetes nurse educator recommended it for lows. So, what's the scoop? (10 Feb 98)

93. We have an adopted child from Korea. We took him to an endocrinologist and also had his metabolism checked. It was observed that he has a dark neck in relation to the rest of his skin tone. We were told that this is a sign that he will be diabetic when older. Have you ever heard of this dark-neck diagnosis in Asian children? (10 Feb 98)

94. My son age 12 was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. Since that time his blood sugars have decreased constantly to the point where he is taking no insulin. Is it advisable during the honeymoon period that a person take no insulin? (10 Feb 98)

95. My daughter has recently been diagnosed a diabetic and she is taking Human Mixtard 30/70. We are presently living in the Middle East, and we have just found out that we can't get the Human Mixtard. We have been informed that we can give her Actraphane. I would be grateful if you could give me your thoughts. (10 Feb 98)

96. I have been a insulin dependent diabetic for 19 years. I recently had a hypoglycemic seizure in the middle of the night. I read that dramatic hypoglycemia causes "adverse CNS consequences." Is this referring to the standard array of neurological damage, i.e., retinopathy and nerve damage? Or is there other damage of which I am unaware? (10 Feb 98)

97. My daughter is 3 1/2 years old and was diagnosed about 6 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. On several occasions, she has gone below 4 (3.7 to 3.9 on average [66 to 70 mg/dl]) before lunch time. How dangerous is a reading below 4 for a child this young? How low is harmful, and what should her range be for her age? (8 Feb 98)

98. I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic about 6 months ago. Since then I have been taking 10 mg of Glucotrol twice a day. This seemed to have no effect. My doctor added 500 mg of Glucophage 3 times daily. I still do not see any change in my monitor readings. Can you shed any light on this for me? (8 Feb 98)

99. After having read about the lack of C-peptide in manufactured insulin, and its necessity in protecting arteries (and reversing damage to the arteries in rats!), I would like to know how to find a source of these proteins -- chemical or natural. (8 Feb 98)

100. My 11 year old daughter has had diabetes for two years. Seven days ago, she had a headache, stomach ache and high ketones. Her readings have been in the 300-500 range for seven days with high ketones. I have been driving the doctor nuts calling him. He doesn't know what to do. (8 Feb 98)

101. Regarding food labels, I always weigh the difference between the "carbohydrates" and the "sugars" listed on the label. I prefer that our kids eat plain Cheerios or something without a lot of sugar added than some more sugary cereal. But I've also read an article that the sugar sweetened ones are okay. I'm confused. (8 Feb 98)

102. Whenever my son eats ice cream his readings are always very high. The label on the ice cream says that it is only 16 carbohydrates for 1/2 cup. We count it in his carb count for the meal, but at his next reading it will always be high. Any suggestions? Our family really likes ice cream. (8 Feb 98)

103. Can diabetes be prevented and is there a cure for Type 1 diabetes? (8 Feb 98)

104. I'm changing to a pump. I need one that's not fragile or sensitive. It has to be waterproof and easy to use. I also need needles that are soft and comfortable. I'm playing basketball, swimming and jogging, so it has to be perfect and must not affect my game. What do you recommend? (8 Feb 98)

105. I am a 27 year old female, who was diagnosed with diabetes 23 years ago. Six months ago, my husband and I had a healthy baby boy. How long should I wait to have another baby? How can I safely go about losing my "baby" fat? (5 Feb 98)

106. My daughter, age 5, diagnosed Type 1 at age 26 months, is giving us an eating challenge. She does not want to eat her lunch (nor really any of her meals real good) within the allotted 30 minute lunch period. We're currently trying the behavior modification plan but am wondering what else we might do. (5 Feb 98)

107. My girlfriend (26) has diabetes the last 13 years. She started using the oral contraceptive pill and her sugar is much too unstable. Is there a problem? Is there another "safe" contraceptive method? Which is the best method for diabetic women? (5 Feb 98)

108. I understand there is a fairly new oral drug either just released or soon to be out. It is susposed to be taken just previous to each meal. (5 Feb 98)

109. My 13-year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a little over a year ago. In the last five months she has stopped having her periods. The newest onset of problems are seizures. She has had two in the last three weeks. Her doctor had prescribed Rezulin. Does Rezulin help Type 1 diabetics? (5 Feb 98)

110. Is it possible to mix Lispro and Regular together, in the same syringe? (1 Feb 98)

111. My 12-year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for six weeks. He has had good blood sugar control for four weeks, but has required extra snacks daily to avoid lows. Is it appropriate for us to "tweak" his insulin levels on our own, or must we get permission from our doctor each time? (1 Feb 98)

112. I was diagnosed 6 months ago with Type 2 diabetes and was devastated. My GP and endocrinologist aren't forthcoming in diabetes information. In fact, my GP did not want me to buy a monitor and test daily. When you encounter a newly diagnosed patient, what do you advise? An appointment with the dietitian, a support group, etc.? (1 Feb 98)

113. My 3 year old daughter has complained of pain in the private area for a few months now. We took her to the doctor and after examination found no evidence of any infection or bacteria. She is drinking excessively. My niece who is 15 was just diagnosed with diabetes and also was sore in her private area. Should I be concerned? (1 Feb 98)

114. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 16 years, since the age of 9. My new endocrinologist just told me the other day he feels I may have Type 2 diabetes. I am highly resistant to insulin and am overweight. The doctor feels this is not typical of Type 1. I need to know more about childhood onset Type 2. (1 Feb 98)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts