From New York, USA:

My 3 year old daughter has complained of pain in the private area for a few months now. We took her to the doctor and after examination found no evidence of any infection or bacteria. He said that sometimes girls just have irritation. However a few days later she came down with a fever that has lasted for 5 days now. She also has Fifth's Disease.

She is drinking excessively. She is 33 inches and 33 pounds. My niece who is 15 was just diagnosed with diabetes and also was sore in her private area. My brother who is 46 has had diabetes for over 20 years also. We are at the doctor's a lot with my 3 children and I'm a little worried that they will think I am paranoid in wondering about this. Should I be concerned about her?

I assume your daughter has had her urine checked for sugar. Often a yeast infection is a sign of early diabetes (yeast like to grow in warm, moist areas and sugar also promotes its growth). Antibiotic therapy also makes yeast more likely to grow. Estrogen (produced normally in puberty) also makes it easier for yeast to grow. Yeast infections, which are common in girls with diabetes, are easily treated with topical cream. If there is no sugar in the urine, your child probably does not have diabetes.

There are other causes of burning or itching in the "private areas" unrelated to yeast. Bubble bath soap can cause irritation. Pinworms can also cause these symptoms.