From Pleasantville, New York, USA:

My 12-year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for six weeks. He has had good blood sugar control for four weeks, but has required extra snacks daily to avoid lows. Is it appropriate for us to "tweak" his insulin levels on our own, or must we get permission from our doctor each time?

Be sure to be in close contact with your diabetes care team, as during the first months of diabetes, insulin requirements may change rapidly as the honeymoon period occurs. If your child is having low sugars, talk to your doctor about lowering the insulin. If you have not yet met with a diabetes educator, it would be crucial to do so, so that with more knowledge and experience you will be able to change insulin day-to-day and also recognize patterns.

If you like to read, I would recommend the book Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D. as a place to start on the details of diabetes care.