From LaPine, Oregon, USA:

My 13-year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a little over a year ago. She did well with blood sugar levels, etc., for about 8 months. In the last five months she has stopped having her periods. I have made an appointment with a gynecologist. The newest onset of problems are seizures. She has had two in the last three weeks and has been hospitalized when her blood sugar was as far down as 29. Her doctor had prescribed Rezulin, but I've had different opinions of it. Does Rezulin help Type 1 diabetics and in laymen's words, how? There are no juvenile diabetes specialists within 250 miles.

This must be very difficult for you with no pediatric specialists nearby. If you are unable to travel for a consultation to a pediatric specialist, perhaps your own doctor can informally consult with a pediatric specialist he or she knows.

Rezulin (Troglitazone) has not been approved for treatment of Type 1 diabetes (insulin deficient diabetes), nor has it been approved for use in children yet. It is mainly used for Type 2 diabetics who make insulin, but do not respond well to it (they have insulin resistance). Rezulin works by helping the body respond to insulin better. Many people with Type 2 diabetes can control their blood sugars with less insulin or no insulin when started on Rezulin.

By definition, people with Type 1 diabetes do not make enough insulin and therefore must take insulin. Theoretically, there is a possibility that some Type 1 diabetics may benefit from a combination of Rezulin and insulin, if they are overweight. Being overweight from any cause may interfere with insulin working normally (including insulin injected by the person). On the other hand, too much insulin given to a Type 1 diabetic can in itself cause excessive weight gain (and seizures with low blood sugars.) Rezulin has not yet been studied in combination with insulin for Type 1 diabetics and careful monitoring of liver function is necessary, so I would be very hesitant to consider its use in a 13 year old. (It is possible that your doctor feels your child truly has Type 2 diabetes and not Type 1 diabetes.)

It sounds like your daughter needs to avoid low blood sugars and may need extensive reevaluation of her control. If she is not menstruating, I would make sure her thyroid function has been checked recently.