From Michigan, USA:

I am a 27 year old female, who was diagnosed with diabetes 23 years ago. Six months ago, my husband and I had a healthy baby boy. The pregnancy was controlled very tightly - with weekly visits to the OB/GYN and NST weekly for the last 9 weeks of the pregnancy. My H1Cs were 6.7 to 7.0 the whole time. There were complications with low blood sugars. I had to have 911 called 3 times during the pregnancy due to severe hypoglycemia. I several questions related to this:

1. How long should I wait to have another baby (if any)? (I had 2 miscarriages before the first baby.)
  2. How can I safely go about losing my "baby" fat?
  3. Is there any information (brochures, etc.) that I could give to my family to assure them of my good health during pregnancy as long as I take good care of myself?

Unfortunately, the down side of tight glucose control is hypoglycemia. In pregnancy this can be particularly problematic and requires close monitoring.

I would recommend that you wait one to two years to get pregnant again. Not so much because of diabetes, but just to space out your children a little bit. If your blood sugars are under good control, and you otherwise have no other complications of diabetes, there is no rush to have another baby.

To lose weight you are going to have to exercise and diet. As long as you are careful about your insulin dosing this should be safe. You may want to speak with a dietitian about a specific calorie regimen.

There have been previous questions about safety of pregnancy in diabetes on this website that you can download. Speak with your endocrinologist about available publications about diabetes in pregnancy.