From Vargarda, Sweden:

I'm changing to a pump. I need one that's not fragile or sensitive. It has to be waterproof and easy to use. I also need needles that are soft and comfortable. I'm playing basketball, swimming and jogging, so it has to be perfect and must not affect my game. What do you recommend?

First of all I think it is wonderful that you are participating in so many sports activities. I trust that you are also checking your blood glucose before, during and after each activity to make sure you are in good control of your diabetes.

With regard to your changing to a pump, I think that is great! Just remember that pumps are not perfect, however, I don't believe that a pump will affect your game in a negative way at all. There are two pumps that I know of that you may want to look into. They are the MiniMed 507 and the Disetronic V-100. I'll give you a little bit of information on the two pumps.

The MiniMed 507 offers you safety, simplicity, flexibility, reliability and dependability. This pump is sturdy, but should be handled with care. It is designed to be durable and relatively free of maintenance. It has a sports guard (a clear plastic case) that is water proof, impact resistant and designed to float. During water activities, the pump is protected from the exposure to chlorine, salt, dirt and microorganisms. This guard can also be warn for contact sports such as soccer, skiing and hockey. There is a quick release infusion set, that is easy to temporarily disconnect from the pump for showering, changing clothes or swimming. Remember, you have the option of doing that. The MiniMed 507has a Sof-Set that offers comfort and flexibility. It is a special infusion set with a removable introducer needle so that only a flexible micro-tube is left under the skin. The Sof-Set allows for painless, comfortable delivery even during vigorous physical activity. The MiniMed 507 also has a Sof-Serter that is an easy to use tool for comfortable, dependable and secure placement of the Sof-Set.

The Disetronic H-TRON V-100 is pleasant to wear, simple to use and high in quality. Disetronic claims their pump is waterproof for surface water activities like showering, bathing and swimming. They do not recommend diving with it. The Disetronic offers a special bag that can be worn comfortably. It too has an infusion set (Disetronic Tender) that is introduced onto the body with a needle and a Teflon cannula that remains under the skins surface.

Before making a decision about which pump is right for you, gather all the information you can get from each company about their pump. Send for literature and a video on each pump and really study the material closely. Find out the name of a Certified Diabetes Educator in your area who is also a pump trainer and discuss with them what you are looking for and learn as much as you can about pumps in general.

[Editor's comment: See Insulin Pumps for more information. WWQ]