From North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

Can diabetes be prevented and is there a cure for Type 1 diabetes?

I assume you are asking about Type 1 diabetes when I answer your question. At this time there is no way of preventing Type 1 diabetes, however there are studies looking into this question. For more information read about the DPT-1. There are likely to be many factors involved in the development of diabetes, including genetic and environmental.

Unfortunately there is no "cure" for diabetes, that is we have no way to make the pancreas make insulin again after the islet cell destruction has happened. However, treatment for diabetes has made great strides, and we hope for even more significant strides in the future.