Question:

From Somerville, New Jersey, USA:

Whenever my son (12 years old, Type 1, has had diabetes for 1 year) eats ice cream his readings are always very high (400's). The label on the ice cream says that it is only 16 carbohydrates for 1/2 cup. We count it in his carb count for the meal, but at his next reading it will always be high. It is the same whether we give him nonfat, low fat, sugar free, or yogurt products. Any suggestions? Our family really likes ice cream. We have just about given it up, but we would like it once a month or for birthdays. Help!

Answer:

This must be very frustrating to you. I have to say in all the children I have seen in the past 15 years, I have never had a 12 year old have such a reaction to ice cream. I have no idea what could be causing it. I would say though that if the blood sugar goes down and he wants it occasionally, you just give it to him and know that for a short time he will be high. You might try increasing activity after he eats it to see if that has an effect. (Make sure he does not have ketones with a blood sugar over 250 before exercise.)

JM