From Nashville,Tennessee, USA:

Regarding food labels, I always weigh the difference between the "carbohydrates" and the "sugars" listed on the label. One would think that the greater the distance between these numbers, the better a diabetes food the food is. I prefer that our kids eat plain Cheerios or something without a lot of sugar added than some more sugary cereal. But I've also read an article that the sugar sweetened ones are okay. I'm confused.

Basically, what the literature says is that sugar is a carbohydrate and as long as the total amount of carbohydrate allowed in your meal plan is the same the source of the carbohydrate does not affect the blood sugar. Now, in terms of good nutrition, we are asking people to limit the amounts of sugar they eat in order to improve their overall health. Therefore, sugar is not necessarily bad in moderation, but it sounds like you like to pay for food that actually adds to the overall health of your family instead of empty calories such as sugar. I think it is always wise to go for the lowest sugar unless you are creating a craving for sugar that will eventually lead to sneaking sweets. In other words, having Honey Nut Cheerios once or twice a week is okay (you only get 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup of plain Cheerios) if it keeps peace at the table. I encourage you to continue to watch the amount of sugar, not because they can't have it, but because it is a more healthful way of eating.