Question:

From Portsmouth, Virginia, USA:

I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic about 6 months ago. Since then I have been taking 10 mg of Glucotrol [glipizide, a sulfonylurea pill for Type 2 diabetes] twice a day. This seemed to have no effect. My doctor added 500 mg of Glucophage [metformin, a different pill for Type 2 diabetes] 3 times daily. I still do not see any change in my monitor readings. I check twice a day, in the morning when I wake up and approximately 5 P.M. In the morning after fasting all night my readings are always 160-180 and in the evening 70-110 after a day of stress and meals etc. I would the reverse to be true. Can you shed any light on this for me?

Answer:

You should talk to your doctor about adjusting your meal plan, adding exercise, looking for stress events that may be elevating your blood sugars, and perhaps adding more medications.

The elevated blood sugars in the early morning are difficult to control: it's a situation called the dawn phenomenon, and can be difficult to fix.

WWQ