From Mississauga, Ontario, Canada:

My daughter is 3 1/2 years old and was diagnosed about 6 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. On several occasions, she has gone below 4 (3.7 to 3.9 on average [66 to 70 mg/dl]) before lunch time. How dangerous is a reading below 4 for a child this young? We have been told that low readings cause insufficient oxygen to the brain. How low is harmful, and what should her range be for her age?

When answering your question, I would have to ask you some questions. First off, What is the blood glucose "target range" that your doctor or diabetes educator has prescribed for your child before lunch? The second is did your child have symptoms (like being drowsy, irritable, unresponsive?) with a blood glucose level in this range. Hypoglycemia is not good for young children's developing brains, but sometimes cannot be avoided. If you notice a pattern of lows before lunch (like 3 times a week) something should be done to prevent this like decreasing morning regular or increasing the amount of food in the mid morning snack. Your diabetes doctor and/or educator can provide you with a suitable target range for your child.