Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

My son age 12 was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. Since that time his blood sugars have decreased constantly to the point where he is taking no insulin. Is it advisable during the honeymoon period that a person take no insulin? During the past two weeks his readings have been between 80 and 180.

Answer:

Occasionally insulin requirements become so low during the honeymoon period that it is potentially dangerous to go on giving exogenous insulin. I see about 60 new cases a year and I've only taken 3 children off insulin completely during the honeymoon period so I guess that's quite unusual.

I am unaware of any hard evidence that this is bad practice although some may argue that providing exogenous insulin gives the beta cells "a rest." However, if this is at the risk of hypoglycaemia, I know which I would choose. Either way, it's important to continue to monitor sugars and HbA1c carefully during the honeymoon period so that the inevitable rise in insulin requirement is noted.