From Ohio, USA:

My daughter has Type 1 diabetes. I was advised not to use chocolate, such as a candy bar, to treat my daughter for low blood sugar because the fat in a candy bar would slow down the absorption of the sugar. Two teens with diabetes have told me their diabetes nurse educator recommended it for lows. So, what's the scoop?

Sometimes health educators tell teens to do things that they know they will do. In other words the best thing to use is glucose or a hard candy, juice, etc., but we know that the candy bar will be a more readily accepted form of sugar to take and sometimes teens do not treat lows.

I still believe it not to be the best to use candy bars to treat low sugar levels for a couple of reasons. If one is going to have a candy bar, it should be when one can really enjoy and remember it; and it is not as fast acting with the fat in it. Small children may get the idea that it is neat to be low, because they can get something they like. I think it is best to save the good stuff for when they can most enjoy it.