Question:

From San Carlos, California, USA:

I am a professional Chef and will be cooking for a client with diabetes soon. I am in need of some guidelines to assist me in cooking for this client. Would you please e-mail me a list of do's and don'ts that I may use to not cook the wrong thing?

Answer:

For the most part cooking for someone with diabetes is just using simply prepared foods with a reduction in fat (if cooking for an adult) and sugar. Choosing fresh fruits and vegetables and using broth based sauces which have been defatted will work well. Herbs and spices are not restricted unless the person has gastrointestinal problems. The Food Guide Pyramid is the basis for the meal planning, avoiding concentrated sweets.

JM