From Fredonia, New York, USA:

My 9 year old son has had Type 1 since the age of 3. We recently moved to a small town and his pediatrician wants to cut back his caloric intake because he thinks he is receiving too much insulin for his age. He is currently on a 2200 calorie diet, the doctor wants him on 1900/day. He takes 6 Regular and 7 NPH at breakfast, 6 Regular at dinner and 8 NPH at bedtime. Are there any set rules for the amount of insulin and calorie intake with reference to age?

The calorie level is only relevant to growth really. The calories needed to provide normal growth and development in a child's established growth channel can be different for children who are the same age and sex. I cannot say what the recommendation for your child is as I do not know his height and exact age and weight. Many things influence the need for more insulin: stress and growth being the two that come to mind immediately. If your child is gaining weight too fast, he might be eating to feed the insulin. That is, insulin can drive hunger and the more you eat, the more insulin one needs. I do not know the thinking behind your doctor's decision but I think you should ask him to explain to you his thinking, especially if your child does not seem to be deviating from his normal growth curve.