Question:

From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

Can Type 1 diabetics, including children, use Cold-Eeze, the other-the-counter cold prevention product? The company that makes it says that it has 18 calories, but does not list the carbohydrate grams. Do you know how many are in it? The product contains sucrose.

Answer:

I am not familiar with this product, but using my common sense I would say that anything under 20 calories would be considered free anyway, regardless of where the calories come from. I doubt that unless several are consumed at a time, they will have any adverse effect on the blood sugar level.

JM

Additional Comment from Dr. Lebinger:

I am not familiar specifically with the product you mention, "Cold-Eeze." In general, however, people diabetes have to be careful with cold medications if they contain decongestants, even if they are "sugar free." Decongestants are medicines that help clear congestion. However, a side effect is that they may also raise the blood sugar and cause ketone production even if the product contains no sugar. Usually, if the product has decongestants in it, there is a warning on the label to beware if you have high blood pressure, thyroid problems, or diabetes.