Question:

From Missouri, USA:

My daughter is 4 years old and diagnosed 7 months ago with Type 1. I have read that chromium and vanadium are important supplements that a diabetic person needs. Is this true? Our current doctor is not a proponent of vitamins. I also heard that chromium picolinate could be used, but to be careful as it can drive down the blood sugar levels quickly.

Answer:

There are not any guidelines for giving children chromium and vanadium. I know there is some research regarding several vitamins and elements/minerals. There is not sufficient evidence at this time to make a recommendation.

JM