Question:

From Alabama, USA:

My nine year old son was in the hospital a little over a year ago diagnosed with ketoacidosis. His symptoms were unable to wake and his room smelled like fingernail polish remover. Our two pediatricians seemed to disagree about his diagnosis. He was hospitalized for three days and then sent home. He has recently begun showing symptoms of loss of appetite, vomiting and upset stomach along with stomachaches. He also gets clammy and his pupils enlarge. He gets extremely hungry but will not eat or tell us what he'll eat. One of our pediatricians has decided to send him to an endocrinologist. Any feedback on this information?

Answer:

I assume from your letter that he did not have diabetic ketoacidosis, but a cause other than diabetes. You would be right to pursue this further with a pediatric endocrinologist/ metabolic expert to help identify the source of this problem.

LM